So, here it is. Blog number one. I’ve decided to keep a blog. I must be special.
Seriously though, last night, reading the Bible before bed for the first time in too long, it occurred to me that my busy life was making it difficult to grow in the word the way I wanted to. I had viewed a profile on eHarmony earlier in the evening, written by a lady who’s knowledge and passion for living a God-filled life was evident with every single word in her profile. And as I read a chapter in Psalms to help calm my mind and get me to sleep, I realized just how frustrated I was that I didn’t have that level of conviction in my life.
I’m up at 6 in the morning, and I don’t get home until 10:15. I could tell myself that once the summer semester ends, I’ll have more time, and I’ll get back in to the Bible then. But I think that’s the very definition of procrastination (a definition I’m not terribly unfamiliar with). The back of my current Bible, a lovely and timely Christmas gift from my sister that has literally kept me on the right path, has a daily reader plan to help one read the entire Bible in one year. But there’s a lot to read everyday, more than I could possibly read between the time I get home and go to bed.
And then it occurred to me: the interwebs! Surely this same plan, or something like it could be found on-line, and sure enough, Bible Gateway to the rescue. I can (and have) subscribe(d) to receive a portion of the Bible every day on my handy Google Reader and read it during “down time” at work. Done and done!
But work is not exactly the most conducive environment for contemplating God’s word. They kind of frown on extended blocks of time spent on non-work related material, and even if one can get away with it, being a Christian calls for, in my opinion, a strong work ethic (room for improvement note: my current job is a big struggle in my life, but that’s a long story, I’m sure I’ll address it here sooner or later), and with all the “alt tabbing” to hide one’s off-taskedness, it’s hard to maintain a solid train of thought.
At any rate, this first (and soon to be legendary, I’m sure) post is starting to get rather long, so I’ll bring it to a close. I basically realized that writing down snippets of my thoughts as I read snippets at a time of my daily reading was a good way to get my Bible reading in, and still actually think about it while at least trying to maintain a good work ethic. Combine that with my passion for writing and a desire to grow through fellowship and accountability, and a blog was born.
And then I figured I didn’t have to limit it to just my daily readings, but could include my thoughts and musings on Christ as I attempt to grow and pray, every day, without ceasing.
So, here it is. I’ve finally joined the blogging world. Tempting though it may be, my aim here is not to relay what books I’ve read, the latest addition to my Aquaman figure collection, bathroom trends (hello Facebook), or vacation tales of excitement and adventure. The number one priority in my life is to grow in my relationship with Christ and my understanding of His word, and that’s what this blog is an outlet for.
I’m not perfect, not the smartest person in the world, and I certainly don’t claim to have all the answers. I’m a simple lay person, and I’m not saying that my thoughts here are the only/right way to think, but it’s how I think. Maybe my thoughts can help someone else out, maybe someone’s thoughts about my thoughts can help me out. Who knows. I pray that in the end, I’ve grown closer to God, and maybe someone else has too.
I’m not perfect, not the smartest person in the world, and I certainly don’t claim to have all the answers. I’m a simple lay person, and I’m not saying that my thoughts here are the only/right way to think, but it’s how I think. Maybe my thoughts can help someone else out, maybe someone’s thoughts about my thoughts can help me out. Who knows. I pray that in the end, I’ve grown closer to God, and maybe someone else has too.
No comments:
Post a Comment