Psalm 63
More praise for God, a definite reminder of God’s majesty. I really like the imagery in this one, this is a beautiful psalm, in my opinion. It reminds me of just how much I really need God. Having gotten away from my daily reading in the last few days, the timing of reading this psalm this very moment is almost like a direct reminder to me not to get too caught up in my worldly affairs.
Psalm 64
This psalm makes me think of all the life plans I’ve made over the years before I reorganized my priorities to place God first in my life. I thought I had it figured out and that I knew what I wanted to do. But those plans always fell apart. It my current path, I’ve encountered more roadblocks, fatigue, and frustrations than any previous plan, but even still, knowing I’m walking God’s path for my life just makes it that much easier.
Psalm 65
I found a Bible commentary website somewhere on-line, can’t remember where right now, that had some a full page’s worth of writing on each and every verse. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing good just to get a paragraph out of a chapter. Clearly I have a long way to go, which makes sense. I don’t think anyone’s ever truly done learning everything God has in store for us in these pages.
This psalm is more praise of God’s majesty. It’s a reminder to me that God’s glory can be found in everything and everywhere. I’m hoping I can store this away mentally for future use on those days that life is beating me down and I let myself drift away from Him. Remembering that I’m right smack dab in the middle of His majesty must surely be a huge boost to one’s spirit.
Romans 6
I’ve mentioned in this blog before that sometimes, the voice that leads me to sin is fond of the argument “I’m going to end up sinning anyways, might as well get it over with and move on.” The opening verses in this chapter tell me that this voice is wrong!
1What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.
It is not inevitable that I will give in to my temptations. We focus so much on the fact that we are imperfect and that Christ died for our sins so we could have eternal life, that I, personally, forget sometimes that His death also freed me from the grasp that sin has on me. I don’t have to give in to get it over with. I should never stop fighting.
The second part of this chapter speaks about being a “slave to righteousness” in the manner that we used to submit ourselves to slavery to sin. Reminds me of a sermon I heard awhile back. The pastor made the point about how some people find such a passion for their hobbies, be it sports, or reading history, etc., that they can quote stats and dates and anecdotes without blinking an eye. He said that this is the sort of enthusiasm we should have for growing and learning about our understanding of God’s will. It’s a level of enthusiasm I strive for.
No comments:
Post a Comment